BE KIND TO YOUR SEPTIC SYSTEM (hint, it’s not a garbage can.)

Your septic system contains a collection of living organisms that digest and treat household waste. Pouring the wrong things down your drain can kill these organisms and make the system less effective.  Untreated wastewater contains bacteria, viruses, and other pollutants. These pollutants can make water in your immediate and downstream areas (wetlands) unsafe for people and wildlife to drink, bathe, or swim. Keeping them working well makes a difference.

NEVER FLUSH THESE ITEMS (At the kitchen sink, toilet, bathtub, or utility sink)

  • No Bleach, ever!  A coffee cups worth of bleach can kill all the beneficial microbes in a 1000 gallon septic tank.
  • Cooking grease or oil. Household chemicals like gasoline, oil, pesticides, antifreeze, and paint or paint thinners. Never use drain cleaners.
  • Paper towels and non-flushable wipes, such as baby wipes or other wet wipes
  • Dental floss, Hair, Cigarette butts, coffee grounds – cat littler
  • Feminine hygiene products.
  • Do Not flush Prescription Drugs down the drain.  Throw in the trash, or better yet, return them to most pharmacies which have drug recycle programs.
  • DO USE single ply toilet paper only which is earier on our septic systems.